[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there any milage in having mod_ssl abort a start up if you try and configure
> it with name based virtual hosting ?
>
>       I don't even know if mod_ssl is able to determine this detail of
>       configuration but since it's definitely not what you want to to do,
>       failing to start and printing a link to the relevant FAQ might reduce some
>       of the posts to this list ?

Why is it "not what you want to do"? You can still have named-based
virtual hosts, but not in SSL mode.
I, for one, am planning to use a mix of named based & IP based virtual
hosting to get as many sites hosted on a single server as possible while
using as few IP addresses as possible. Not all the sites I'm hosting
will need SSL.
While having it refuse to start might make your learning curve a few
millimeters shorter, it would really tick me off by preventing me from
using features that I want.

-Bill