the 90% number depends highly on what sort of content you're serving out -
if you're serving mainly static content, then yes, you would expect to see
that all of your cpu work is being done on the encryption / decryption of
the ssl - no matter anything else, it is simply a number crunching job.

the 7110 is very easy to set up, but in using them, I would make sure that
you have database and any nfs traffic going through a separate NIC - keep
the traffic coming through it to just the incoming and outgoing web traffic.

I've only used them shortly, but have been very happy with their performance
- even on a box (2*pIII 500, .5G RAM) that wasn't seeing much load and cpu
was always low, the simple acceleration in the speed of encryption /
decryption boosted the rate we were serving at by about 40% on dynamic
content, which simply amazed me.

In terms of setting up apache, my recommendation is just to keep your secure
server (modssl, I'll assume), and put in an additional virtualhost on
another port with SSLEngine Off in it, but otherwise same configuration as
you secure one.  You can then configure the 7110 to pass the decrypted
traffic off to that port, but if it gets overloaded for whatever reason, you
can have it simply spill through and let modssl pick up the work.

These boxes were originally made by iPivot, who was then bought out by
intel.  I believe the boxes are based upon the rainbow ssl accelerator
cards.

I haven't actually tried the 7180's, so no comments there.

Hope that helps -
Jody Biggs