Full_Name: karl berry
Version: 2.7.1-1.3.14
OS: solaris 2.7
Submission from: (NULL) (63.227.208.155)

when connecting to a mod_ssl-enabled server with versions of
internet explorer 5.00.2614.3500IC or below, going through a cisco
local director, we get broken images or page-not-found errors
with some frequency, on something like 1% of the connections.

it is not reproducible in the sense that the same images will break
every time through. it is reproducible in the sense that, sooner
or later, some connection will be dropped.

the problem only happens when all three of the above elements are
present.  if we use a later version of explorer, the bug does not
happen. if we use dns round robin instead of the local director,
the bug does not happen.  unfortunately, we need to find a workaround
that *includes* the affected explorer versions (very common), and the
local director, due to circumstances beyond my control. so i am
looking for a solution that just involves apache and mod_ssl.

we are already doing the steps mentioned in the faq, specifically
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown downgrade-1.0
f$
(without that, things are much worse).

snooping the network interface shows that a tcp connection is opened
for every image to the server, but that the connection for the broken
image does not make it back out from apache. i do not know whether
it gets into apache in the first place, or whether it is apache-level
code or the solaris kernel that is dropping the connection.

if anyone has any clues on how to determine that, as in what apache
or ssl files/functions are the most likely avenues to pursue, i'd
be grateful.  or any other approaches to the problem, of course.

thanks.