Ok.. I hope that someone has the expertise and experience to help me..
because I am so frustrated.

I am attempting to create a real certificate and then create and use my
own CA.

So I follow the commands exactly from the FAQ and when I get to the
actuall signing.. this is what I get:

[brethour@bombadil ssl]#mod_ssl-2.7.1-1.3.14/pkg.contrib/sign.sh
server.csr
CA signing:server.csr -> server.crt:
Using configuration from ca.config
Enter PEM pass phrase:
Check that the request matches the signature
Signature ok
The Subjects Distinguished Name is as follows
countryName :PRINTABLE:'US'
stateOrProvinceName :PRINTABLE:'Illinois'
localityName :PRINTABLE:'Champaign'
organizationName :PRINTABLE:'NCSA'
commonName :PRINTABLE:'bombadil.ncsa.uiuc.edu'
emailAddress:IA5STRING:'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' Certificate is to be
certified until Dec 8 15:57:26 2001 GMT (365 days)
Sign the certificate?[y/n]:y

1 out of 1 certificate requests certified, commit? [y/n]y
Write out database with 1 new entries
Data Base Updated
CA verifying:server.crt <-> CA cert
server.crt:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
error 18 at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
error 7 at 0 depth lookup:certificate signature failure
[brethour@bombadil ssl]#

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much!!!
Tanya