Hey folks, I'm having problems setting up a machine with
mod_ssl 2.8.0, openssl 0.9.6, and mod_perl 1.25.

I start by patching a clean apache 1.3.17 source tree
with mod_ssl like so:
/src/modssl# configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.17

No errors so far.

Then, I do mod_perl:
/src/modperl# perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1 DO_HTTPD=1 PREP_HTTPD=1
USE_APACI=1 APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.17
make
make install

Again, no errors reported.

Then apache
/src/apache# ./configure --enable-module=ssl
--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a --prefix=/mnt/apache
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.17
 + using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
 + activated perl module (modules/perl/libperl.a)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
      + id: mod_perl/1.25
      + id: Perl/v5.6.0 (linux) [perl]
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lposix
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for Linux platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
    o ssl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + SSL interface: mod_ssl/2.8.0
      + SSL interface build type: OBJ
      + SSL interface compatibility: enabled
      + SSL interface experimental code: disabled
      + SSL interface conservative code: disabled
      + SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
      + SSL interface plugin: Built-in SDBM
      + SSL library path: [SYSTEM]
      + SSL library version: OpenSSL 0.9.6 24 Sep 2000
      + SSL library type: installed package (system-wide)
    o perl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + mod_perl build type: OBJ
      + setting up mod_perl build environment
      + adjusting Apache build environment
      + enabling Perl support for SSI (mod_include)
 + enabling Extended API (EAPI)
 + checking sizeof various data types
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
Creating Makefile in src/support
Creating Makefile in src/regex
Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
Creating Makefile in src/ap
Creating Makefile in src/main
Creating Makefile in src/lib/expat-lite
Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
Creating Makefile in src/modules/ssl
Creating Makefile in src/modules/perl

make
make certificate type=test
make install

still nothing wrong..

apachectl startssl
/mnt/apache/bin/apachectl startssl: httpd started

so far so good...

lynx http://localhost
<connection closed>

tail -f /mnt/www/logs/error_log
[Fri Feb  9 17:04:11 2001] [notice] child pid 13495 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

ARRRGGGHH :)

When I start the server without SSL support, everything goes smoothly.
No seg faults. I also
tried compiling the server with each module seperately, and they work
fine. But when combined,
I get seg faults time after time. A few more details...

Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

glibc-2.2.1

Slackware linux 7.2, kernel 2.2.18

I'm running a bit of an experimental setup. The local storage on the
machine I'm installing this on, is actually a network block device
with GFS on top as the filesystem. Multiple computers are sharing this
storage and applications which are in the storage, but each node
has it's own directory for storing log files, so there shouldn't be
any conflicts. Since apache+mod_ssl works, and apache+mod_perl works,
but apache/mod_ssl/mod_perl doesn't, I doubt that it's a problem.

gdb httpd
GNU gdb 5.0
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-slackware-linux"...(no debugging
symbols found)...
(gdb) run -X -DSSL
Starting program: /mnt/apache/bin/httpd -X -DSSL

0x8085729 in ssl_hook_NewConnection ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x8085729 in ssl_hook_NewConnection ()
#1  0x80bd8f1 in ap_start_restart ()
#2  0x80be7e9 in ap_child_terminate ()
#3  0x80be9e8 in ap_child_terminate ()
#4  0x80beb43 in ap_child_terminate ()
#5  0x80bf178 in ap_child_terminate ()
#6  0x80bf90b in main ()
#7  0x401dfd3c in __libc_start_main (main=0x80bf5b0 <main>, argc=3,
ubp_av=0xbffffab4, init=0x8067870 <_init>, fini=0x816d558 <_fini>,
rtld_fini=0x4000cd00 <_dl_fini>,
    stack_end=0xbffffaac) at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:129
(gdb) step
Single stepping until exit from function ssl_hook_NewConnection,
which has no line number information.

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
The program no longer exists.

If anyone knows a workaround or has a patch to fix this problem, please
let me know. As I'm not subscribed to this list, please respond to the
following
address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks