How do I make a root CA known to apache but not valid for client authentication?
(apache1.3.17,modssl2.8,openssl0.9.6)

I've got a three tier cert hierarchy like:

root ca --signs--> project ca --signs--> server/client certs

The problem is that unless I place the root ca in SSLCACertificateFile or
SSLCACertificatePath apache complains about not being able to locate the local
issuer.  If I place the root in either of these apache allows server/client
certs that were signed directly by the root ca to access the server (when I only
want to allow certs signed by the project ca)

I would think that one should only need SSLCertificateFile,
SSLCertificateKeyFile and SSLCertificateChainFile (containing the project ca and
root ca), SSLCACertificateFile (containing just the project ca), SSLVerifyClient
require, and SSLVerifyDepth  2.  These settings do not work as advertised.  Only
the project CA is loaded startup (looking at the ssl_engine_log) and when
attempting to do a client connection, apache says it can't find the local issuer
(this would seem to be the root ca, which IS IN the chain!! isnt that enough?).
If I add the root ca to the SSLCACertificateFile or SSLCACertificatePath apache
allows clients signed by the root CA access.  Does apache not support three tier
certificate hierarchies? Any other things I should try?

I know that the last two paragraphs basically restated the same issue but
hopefully one of them will be clear enough for someone to understand.  If you
can believe it, we've been toying with this for 3 months now and I fear this is
going to reflect badly on the use of opensource software within the company.
The vendor who manages our certificates is finger pointing at apache and its
driving me insane.  I've been using apache since its first year of existance and
I can't imagine being stuck using commercial implementations (which don't work
AT ALL) here for the rest of my days just because of a lack of documentation :(.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.