On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Jan Dries wrote:

> The only surprise was that it builds dynamic modules with a different
> name and extension than in 1.3.14 (my previous version), i.e. it now
> creates a "mod_ssl.so" instead of an "ApacheModuleSSL.dll".

FYI, that's a change in Apache as a whole, not just mod_ssl.  (1.3.17 used
.so, too, IIRC.)  There were several reasons for the change: to
standardize names with those used by Unix builds of Apache, to avoid the
default Windows behavior of hiding all .DLL files, and to avoid the
possibility of confusing shared objects from other programs (eg IIS) with
those for Apache.  There were probably other reasons as well.  =-)

--Cliff