benr,

Following is from a Win32 httpd.conf file that is running
1.3.19 and 2.8.1.  I created the certificates using the openssl
tools, and this has worked very well for https: from Netscape.
It has fewer configuration lines than your email, so hopefully
it has some clue to work from.  This config still needs some work,
but it does work.

FYI: I tried a Thawte "free" certificate built from the same CSR
file. It worked fine, but failed miserably for Java.  Java worked
when I went back to the openssl certificate.

Dave

-----

SSLMutex sem
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin