I´ve configured a proxy apache server+mod_ssl+openssl and used a 128 bit step up
certificate. We have Problem with IE 5.0 with 56 bit encryption on win2000.
I used the following directive.
                   SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
                            nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
                            downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

and i´ve also tried:
SSLProtocol all -SSLV3
or
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP
and used SSL sessionCache

But nothing helped me.