On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Aage J. Skjolingstad wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When crond is log rotating (crond.weekly) - httpd feil to start up
> again. I'm running RH 7.0 with Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux)
> mod_ssl/2.7.1 OpenSSL/0.9.5a mod_perl/1.24

apache has a utility called rotatelogs which avoids the logrotate issue
altogether and doesn't require an apache restart; it does require that the
logs be cleaned up somehow afterwards, for example,

   find <path-to-log-dir> -name "*log*" -mtime +6 -exec rm -f {} \;

Just 'man rotatelogs' to see how to use it.  rotatelogs will show up as a
process for each reference in the apache cfg files.

----from my own httpd.conf----
CustomLog "|/opt/apache/bin/rotatelogs /opt/apache/logs/access_log
86400" common

----from my own /etc/crontab----
00 07 * * * root /usr/bin/find /opt/apache/logs -type f -name
"*log*" -mtime +6 -exec rm -f {} \;

> The kill HUP does not restart the server since some of the childs does
> not die
>
> The /…../httpd restart command works, and I have done no changes to any
> of the crond services or conf files.
>
> Is this a problem with mod_ssl ??

Don't know.  Doubt it.  Avoided the issue altogether. ;-)