This is my last post on the subject since everyone else must be fed up
by now.

I accept that being secretive might reduce the number of hacks you are
subjected to. My point is that every machine on the web will eventually
get attacked and reducing the rate of attacks is not security  - you
will still get hacked eventually. You must be secure when the attack
comes and you must assume the attacker knows or guesses trivial facts
about your system.

Your car analogy proves my point precisely. Some cars may be easier to
steal than others - yet no manufacturer disguises the model or make of
their car. If a problem arises with a particular model, the correct
response is to get the lock fixed - not to ride around with your car
under a sheet.

I also agree the CIA etc. have had their websites corrupted from time to
time but are you really suggesting this is *because* they print the
Server signature? If so, why do they *still* print it? - straw-man
argument, methinks.

Finally, I am advocating the status quo so I don't have to give any
compelling reasons why it should be so - it is up to you rebels to
provide a compelling argument why we should all change. So far, I
haven't heard one.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.