I'm running openssl-engine-0.9.6, mod_ssl-2.8.2-1.3.19 , and apache
1.3.19.  I have a cert from Verisign.  Our certificate class from
verisign is: Digital ID Class 3 - Global Server ID.  It's a 128 bit
cert that I believe is supposed to do a step down to 56 bit when
that's all the browser can do.  The problem is that for older
versions of IE on windows apache doesn't handle the step down thing
right and people don't get secure access to our site.  The IE error
message is incredibly general.  From searching the mailing list
archive, it looks like this can be worked around by modifying the
line in httpd.conf that contains:

SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP

I've seen +eNULL added to the end in some suggestions, and I've seen
EXPORT56 written as EXP56.  CAn someone explain what's going on in
this line to me, and tell me how to fix it so people with old
browsers can get secure access to our site?  Thanks.

-Matt