> Yup. There has been a report of this on HPUX 11 (or maybe 10.20, can't recall)
> but I was unable to get anyone to reproduce it with debugging turned on. Could
> you please recompile your server with debugging and get a back-trace on one of
> these? (Contact me if you need any help doing this). It would help us all a lot
> (and would prevent anyone else encountering the same problem).

 Yep, I can help with this. I'll get to it tomorrow.

> Anyhow - one or two compilers were "optimising" these safe functions whereby
> they'd realise what the trick was doing and replace the byte-by-byte copy with a
> single read (ie. "wait, you're copying 4 bytes into an 'unsigned int' - why
> don't I just convert that to a single read?"). In other words, defeating the
> whole point of the function. :-( This could be what's happening in your case -
> if so, we just need to make the "safe" functions safer.

 The only place I've into problems with using gcc 2.95.3 is mozilla. -O2 just
 won't, although -O plus ultrasparc-specific stuff seems to work. OTOH, I think
 OpenSSL always chooses -O3 -mcpu=v9 (or something like that) on my boxes,
 and I haven't seen a problem with that yet.

> What CPU are you running BTW? It's obviously not a pentium variant :-)

 I don't dabble in iNtel. SPARC it is ;-)

> Word-type operations that don't sit on the required byte-alignment generate a
> SIGBUS error - so this really indicates that it's simply a "safe" function
> issue. This should be easy to correct - we just need to get a backtrace to find
> out which line(s) of code the crash is occuring in.

 Good. I'll see what I can do.