I'm using the CA.pl script provided with openssl in order to create a CA
and then produce a self-signed certificate.  I'm just looking for
confirmation that I'm going through the correct steps and putting the
right values into Apache.

All commands are issued from /home/dan/CA.  The Apache directives
point at the files in question rather than their ultimate destination off
somewhere else.  This is just for testing.  Kids, don't do this at home....

perl CA.pl -newca
perl CA.pl -newreq
perl CA.pl -sign
openssl rsa < newreq.pem > newkey.pem

openssl pkcs12 -export -in newcert.pem -inkey newkey.pem -out
iestuff.p12

I imported iestuff.p12 into my MSIE browser and select that certificate
when prompted by the browser.

I then used the following SSL related values in my SSL vhost:

        SSLEngine       on
        SSLCertificateFile      /home/dan/CA/demoCA/cacert.pem
        SSLCertificateKeyFile   /home/dan/CA/demoCA/private/cakey.key

        SSLCACertificatePath    /home/dan/CA/demoCA/
        SSLCACertificateFile    /home/dan/CA/demoCA/cacert.pem

        <Location /securelocation>
                SSLVerifyClient require
                SSLVerifyDepth  1
        </Location>

Note that I'm using the CA certificate and key for the SSL and the
SSLCA information.  Does that make sense?  I tried this:

        SSLCACertificatePath    /home/dan/CA/
        SSLCACertificateFile    /home/dan/CA/newcert.pem

But if I use that combination, my browser certificate is not listed in the
"Client Authentication" dialog box presented by the browser when I go
to /securelocation.

Why?  What have I misunderstood?

thanks.

--