Folks,

The certificate at one of our web sites has expired. It's a self-signed
certificate and we want to create another. The problem is when we try to
sign the new certificate by running sign.sh we get the following error
message:

error 7 at 0 depth lookup: certificate signature failure.

I found some instructions at  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark/WebCourse/node25.html
which implied we could ignore this error but if we do we get a message
saying "The server's certificate has an invalid signature".

I even got hold of a set of perl scripts for creating a certificate from
the openssl.org web site. They produced the same error.

What's likely to be causing this, please, and how can we get round it?

I don't know what versions of anything were installed on this machine, but
the installation appears to date from July 1999, if that helps

TIA for your advice,

Dave Smith