From: David Rees [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 6:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Intermittent "Page cannot be displayed" and "Cannot find
error or DNS error" using mod_ssl and IE 5.5

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:32:36PM -0400, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Carol,
>
> In Apache httpd.conf we had to put the line:
>
>        SSLProtocol all -SSLv3
>
> in order to get it to work for IE Mac.  So now when IE windows users
> who do not have ssl v2 enabled try to hit the site, they get the
> message you describe.  I'm sure there are other ways of getting it
> though -- I saw the same page displayed on IE 5.5 with a non-ssl page
> served from a sun server where there was a problem with the load
> balancer.

We've discussed issues with MSIE on Mac before, the proper fix appears to be
the following:

BrowserMatch "MSIE [1-4]" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
        downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "MSIE [5-9]" ssl-unclean-shutdown

Apparently MSIE on the Mac doesn't like to have keep alive turned off when
ssl is turned on.

This appears to work well for MSIE on Windows as well.  Turning off SSLv3
introduces issues with some versions of Netscape.

-Dave