You haven't provided any details, so it's hard to provide a specific
suggestion.  But in general I've found that when things change "out of the
blue" it is usually because of some latent problem that wasn't noticed
because of some other circumstance.  E.g., you change a configuration
file, but for some reason the executable isn't restarted, or doesn't read
the configuration until after some time.  Which is an excellent reason for
archiving old configurations--for doing regression tests.

So you say that your configuration file is unchanged, with the implication
"since it last worked with happy result".  But a problem could have been
there before, it just didn't surface that last time you restarted. So look
at earliar changes, and consider what effect they might have.  And check
that previous configurations still work.

> I've re-checked the httpd.conf so many times I'm tired of looking at it...
> it should be correct.   Anyone ever heard of ANYTHING like this?

  Yup.  I've heard it said that first lesson of a painter is to paint what
he (she?) _sees_, and not what he _thinks_ he sees.  It is all too easy to
uncritically scan something, and "think" it's right without _really
looking_ at it.  (Specific suggestion:  lay it down, go home, have a beer,
get a good night's sleep, and come back refreshed.)  As a programmer I had
to learn to NOT skate over all the symbols, to suppress my semantic
interpretation and general jumping to conclusions, and to consider each
item and its implications individually and afresh.