This is a known problem.

>From the modssl FAQ:
<http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC49>

Search the mailing list archives for MSIE, broken browser, for further
points.

The fix above works for everything except SSL file uploads. You can enable
that on the client side by unchecking Tools->Internet Options->Show Friendly
HTTP error pages, at least for IE 5.5. On the server side, it looks like
file uploads aren't downgraded correctly per the fix if that option is
enabled...

--pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Sittler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 5:52 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: IE discards pages once a while

I have older versions of apache and mod_ssl and I'm having the same
problem... I thought I was going crazy.

Everything works fine, and then all of a sudden I'll refresh a page or click
a link and I get the same 'page not found' msg you are getting.  For me this
problem occurs about two or maybe three times per day, while the rest of the
time my ssl vhost works just fine.  Again, I have found no error msgs in any
of my logs to indicate any problem related to this.

I'm also trying to figure out how to upgrade my apache properly in the
quickest way so my public server has as little downtime as possible.  I
thought that upgrading apache might fix the problem, but it looks like you
are stuck in the same situation with a newer version.

Have you tried any other browsers?  I get this problem with different
browsers on different OS's.  So I suspect it's not the browser.

Henning Sittler
www.inscriber.com