From: Jay Burgess [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 8:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MODSSL: Status of bug 569?

(I posted this last week, but received a "message bounced" reply.  It
appears now that the list is back up, so I'm trying again.)

Environment: Apache 1.3.20, mod_ssl 2.8.4_1.3.20, OpenSSL-0.9.6b, Windows
NT 4.0 SP6

I've encountered EXACTLY the same crashing behavior described by Josef
Goebel in bug report 569 (dated 23-May). Since the bug is still marked as
"Open", I thought I'd check on the current status.  It seems like a
critical issue to me, as my Apache only runs for a minute or two before
crashing. Here's the dump from Apache error log:

[Wed Nov 21 07:35:11 2001] [info] master_main: Child processed exited (due
to MaxRequestsPerChild?). Restarting the child process.
[Wed Nov 21 07:35:16 2001] [crit] (32)The process cannot access the file
because it is being used by another process: Parent: Not able to create the
child process.
[Wed Nov 21 07:35:16 2001] [error] (2)No such file or directory:
master_main: create child process failed. Exiting.
[Wed Nov 21 07:35:16 2001] [info] removed PID file
z:/webserver/logs/httpd.pid (pid=376)

I plan to apply Josef's patch/workaround, as he's indicated offline that it
has worked well for him, but I'm extremely curious why this issue hasn't
already been addressed.  How is anyone using mod_ssl if Apache won't stay
alive?

Jay