I'm having the same trouble, same versions of the daemons/openssl/modssl,
I'm using FreeBSD ports collection to install apache/modssl, openssl comes
as part of the FreeBSD install. My FreeBSD install is sync'd with the -
STABLE source as of yesterday, and apache was rebuilt as such. The port
i'm using is "apache13-modssl". Ports collection sync'd as of today. Exact
same error as you, creating my certs using the methods both the port
offers and from various FAQ sites. I don't  have any commercial certs to
test with. I have no clue on a solution, and web searches have turned up
nothing. Just wanted to post so people (and you) knew it was not just a
problem that you experienced, I am also experiencing it as well.

Cheers.