Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 8:30 PM
Subject: RE: Problems with Apache / mod_ssl and Internet Explorer 5/6

I had this problem and spent many, many hours researching.  In my research, I came across many others with the same problem.  So you are not the only one.  I received the "Page cannot be displayed" error along with "Cannot find server or DNS error".  I tried the fix suggested in the Apache mod_ssl FAQ (change to http.conf file to downgrade to http 1.0).  It did not work.  It looks like you also tried the fix, too. I filed a bug report in the Bug Database for Apache mod_ssl and never received any response in over 5 months.  I eventually worked with Oracle Worldwide Support because I was using the Apache Web Server and mod_ssl as packaged with the Oracle9i Application Server.  I had to work up through the ranks to get the problem addressed.  Eventually, I implemented two changes that seemed to reduce the error with much, much less frequency.  I still get the error, but not very often.

It looks like you have also tried one of the solutions I implemented (change to http.conf file removing 'nokeepalive').  The other fix I implemented, Oracle actually had to patch a DLL file of theirs that I believe works with the mod_ssl component.  Anyways, I saw the code fix they implemented and it has something to do with retrying the read from the port when it fails to read the data (they enclosed the read in a "retry" loop until successful).  I don't know if this information will help.  But, I am providing the details:

I received this error in two different cases. One case it happened intermittently on almost any page I tried to access from our website using SSL and the IE browser. I reduced the errors, quite significantly, but not entirely, by making the following change in the Apache http.conf file:

From: #SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

To: SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" ssl-unclean-shutdown

In the other case, I always received the error when I tried to use Oracle Portal's Add-Item-Wizard pages to upload a document to Oracle Portal's Content Area. Here was the resolution for that case:

Implemented solution for Oracle Bug No. 1821195 (When uploading large file using modplsql & SSL error reading data from client) by replacing the existing ApacheModuleSSL.dll file with the patched file referenced in the bug details. According to the details for the ApacheModuleSSL.dll patch, there was mention of a bug in the "select" function in Windows NT 4.0:

"When checking a socket, if data can be read without blocking, select () returns yes, but when actually reading from the socket with recv(), that function returns WSAEWOULDBLOCK, which says that reading would block. It seems that this problem does not occur in usual operation, but only in an SSL enabled Apache (modssl or apache-ssl) with https. The code for WIN32, which handles writing to a socket, already contains a workaround for this. The code for reading from a socket did not have a workaround."

Carol Kuczborski
EDS - Enabling Business Solutions
MS A6N-B47
13600 EDS Drive