On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Patrick Herborn wrote:

> I have been trying to configure the following setup:
>
>   PRIVATE LAN           |              INTERNET
>   back_end <--HTTP--> Apache <--HTTPS--> Client
>
> Ie the Apache box is acting as a bastion host between the Internet and a
> private LAN segment. I have a valid cert and key on the Apache box, and SSL
> negotiation works fine. I also have the whole thing working with pure HTTP (no
> SSL) but with both, ie running SSL to the Apache box, then plain HTTP to the
> back end, it breaks.

I assume that you have a virtual host defined on the Apache server with
the same name as the back_end.  Use mod_rewrite's [P] flag to generate the
HTTP request to back_end.  Use mod_proxy's ProxyPassReverse to capture the
response from back_end and return it to the client.

Re-read Ralph Engelshall's notes on mod_rewrite 3 or 4 times.  It takes
time for what my grandmother would have called "jookery-pookery" to sink
in.

When I developed a system running Stronghold several years ago, I recall
running into problems with SSL (ssleay) until I realized that you needed
to simulate ProxyPass using mod_rwrite.  I don't think this is a mod_ssl
problem.  It's more of a problem of under which shell is the pea.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:                          vcard
VERSION:                        3.0