When a client browser reaches an SSL-secured page, the browser checks to
see whether the 'server' certificate is trusted. In Internet Explorer 5.5,
you can view a list of trusted certificates from: (Menu) Tools|Internet
Options... -> Content TAB | Certificates.. BUTTON.
You should be able to view all installed certificates.

These certificates have either been pre-installed, or installed when
visiting an SSL-site and agreeing to download. This is how a 'client'
certificate exists.

An easy way of getting hold of the 'client certificate' that you yourself
have signed (mine is attached) is by going to your own site and agreeing to
trust your site (!). The certificate would then be installed on your
machine. Then view all installed certificates (explained above for IE), and
Export the certificate.

Doing all this allows you to pass on a copy of your certificate to someone,
and tell them to Import it into their trusted list. I feel it's all a bit
unneccesary, but now you should be "able to create a client certificate
which is signed by my own CA for client authentication." !

Shiraz