Jack,
> I am running FBSD 4.5-stable with Apache-1.3.23 with numerous mods and
> other dependents all set, configured & running okay. BUT, now need SSL
> and must install just the mod_ssl without any other changes, except
> OpenSSH that I (believe?) I can activate from the base system.
>
> Being this is my first time to try this type of install and I don't
> want to mess up the existing system (it's built for production and
> time is of essence), I would appreciate the advice on the exact steps
> to install the tarball mod_ssl-2.8.7-1.3.23.tar.gz now to set up SSL.
The following is from the FAQ http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html

When I startup Apache I get errors about undefined symbols like
ap_global_ctx?   [L]

                       This actually means you installed mod_ssl as a DSO, but
without rebuilding Apache with EAPI. Because EAPI is a requirement for
mod_ssl, you need an extra patched Apache (containing the EAPI patches)
and you have to build this Apache with EAPI enabled (explicitly specify --
enable-rule=EAPI at the APACI command line).

As you can see, the Apache core is patched with EAPI (extended API)
features in order to support SSL

---
Aryeh Katz
VASCO