1.  I have managed to install Apache 2.0.35 with mod SSL but it ony works
>when i sepecify the servername as been the servers IP address instead of
>the
>actual name - is this a bug or is this the way Apache in tended?

Do you mean in the actual ServerName directive?  No that's not intended,
but I've also never seen this problem.  Can you email me a configuration
snippet that demonstrates the problem?

---- Yes, its the ServerName directive.  If i specify the host name e.g
wellington.location.com:8443 then my server starts up okay and will run on
http okay but when I try to goto port 8443 it says that connection is
refused - i have tried also just putting wellington.location.com without the
port number at the end but with the same effect.  However, if i specify the
actual IP address of the wellington then this works! - weired....

>Cannot load /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/modules/mod_ssl.so into server:
>ld.so.1: /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation
>error:
>file /opt/local/apache/apache_2.0.35/modules/mod_ssl.so: symbol
>X509_INFO_free: referenced symbol not found
>
>Is this a common bug?

Yes, it's a fairly frequently asked question.  The problem is that you've
built a shared mod_ssl against a static OpenSSL (ie, libssl.a and
libcrypto.a instead of .so).  That won't work because the way the build
system currently works, OpenSSL is linked into httpd, not mod_ssl.  httpd
doesn't need the symbols from the OpenSSL libraries, so the static linker
throws them away, meaning they're no longer available when mod_ssl is
dynamically linked at runtime.

Solution: use a shared OpenSSL.

----- this works now!! thanks for your help

--Cliff