Hi Peter,

thank you for the quick response

cheers alex

Alex Apostolopoulos
WebTechnology & Smart Card Solutions

Secartis AG-eSolutions by Giesecke & Devrient
Bretonischer Ring 3, D-85630 Grasbrunn, Germany

Phone: +49(0)89 4119-7086, Fax: +49(0)89 4119-7403
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Home: www.secartis.com
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|                        |   "Peter Viertel"      |                        |
|                        |   <peter.viertel@itacti|           An:          |
|                        |   on.co.uk>            |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|                        |   Gesendet von:        |   rg                   |
|                        |   owner-modssl-users@mo|           Kopie:       |
|                        |   dssl.org             |                        |
|                        |                        |           Thema:       |
|                        |   22.04.2002 19:15     |   Re: encipher box     |
|                        |   Bitte antworten an   |                        |
|                        |   modssl-users         |                        |
|                        |                        |                        |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|

Yes, I've done it a few times with apache 1.3 on Solaris, still mucking
around with apache 2 though.

what you need is:

a) the nCipher software for the o/s - these are binary only and will set
up a daemon called hardserver, and another package that installs the
CHIL library. If they don't have packages for your o/s you are screwed.

b) get/compile openssl-engine not the standard openssl.

c) test openssl: on a sun it goes like this:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/nfast/toolkits/hwcrhk
# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# openssl speed -engine chil

d) now you have openssl talking nCipher ok, you need to recompile
mod_ssl to use openssl-engine... use apache 1.3.24, and configure with
SSL_EXPERIMENTAL option (without this, you cant get it to use nCipher).

e) check you built httpd right:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/nfast/toolkits/hwcrhk
# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# httpd -L | grep SSLCryptoDevice

f) add the following line to httpd.conf:

SSLCryptoDevice chil

Note this shows you how to get any nCipher to provide hardware
acceleration, I think the stuff about getting apache to use keys stored
in an nForce HSM is another topic altogether, and best left off-list
unless enough people want to hear the gory details...

Regards,

PeterV.