You say you can connect to the 'actual server address' while on the
actual machine but not from across the network.

You do not say which operating system you're using - but if it's redhat
linux for example, perhaps you've got iptables rules. Otherwise  is
network routing ok, like does the machien have it's default route set
correctly?