I just went went through this!

It may have to do with the fact that Solaris 8 and below does not have
support for random number generation.
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/fcc/fcc.html

After several hours of frustration, I found some instructions that work!
I'll save you some grief:

You must install Openssl if you have not already.  I'm using
OpenSSL 0.9.6c 21 dec 2001.

Openssl would normally be installed in /usr/local ... be sure and
update your $PATH to include /usr/local/ssl/bin.

While in /usr/local/ssl/misc:

1.  Using vi, create file named rand.text
        (just a text file with 5 or so lines of random characters).
2.  openssl des3 -in rand.text -out rand.dat
3.  openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
4.  openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
5.  openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in server.csr -signkey
        server.key -out server.crt
6.  I used the ssl.conf file to start with (cp ssl.conf httpd.conf)
7.  add User nobody Group nobody to httpd.conf
8.  point SSLCertificateFile and SSLCertificateKeyFile to appropriate path
in the httpd.conf file
9.  ./apachectl startssl

It worked for me.  Let me know how it goes.

Thanks
Jim