On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Zac Hillier wrote:

> Just recently, eventually got apache 2.0.36 installed with mod_ssl.
> Now when I try to start apache with:
> httpd -D SSL
> I get an error:
>
> Cannot load modules/mod_ssl.so into server : modules/mod_ssl.so:  undefined
> symbol : X509_free

That's a still-outstanding bug in the Apache build process (a linking
problem, specifically).  It's triggered when you build a shared mod_ssl
against a static OpenSSL.  The workaround is to make them match -- I
recommend installing the shared version of OpenSSL (eg, /usr/lib/libssl.so
and /usr/lib/libcrypto.so instead of /usr/lib/libssl.a and
/usr/lib/libcrypto.a... see the mod_ssl install docs for how to accomplish
this), and then recompile mod_ssl.

What's happened in your case right now is that for some reason we're
linking OpenSSL into the httpd binary rather than into the mod_ssl DSO,
and the static linker is therefore throwing away all the symbols we need
because httpd itself doesn't use them.  When we go to dynamically link in
mod_ssl later, OpenSSL's symbols aren't there for us.

--Cliff