On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, B. van Ouwerkerk wrote:

> >uname -a
> >Linux darkstar 2.0.35 #4 Mon Dec 14 18:18:57 CST 1998 i586 unknown
> >
> >and no matter how we configure, apache dies under
>
> SNIP
>
> Just tested it on my old local testbed server.. (not online)
>
> Slackware 7.1.0
> Kernel 2.2.16
> Apache 2.0.39

Umm, yers might be considered older in relative terms, but, I'm using a
slackware 3.6 version on the box I'm trying to work on, so the kernel is a
patched up 2.0.35-6 derivative, older yet then the 7.1 slackware/2.2.16
kernel you are working on there.

Now, thanks to Cliff w/ apache.org we have gotten farther, but are still a
tad short;

> #define HZ 100
>
> in mod_status and it will at least come closer to compiling.

Cliff,

This comes so close, yet remains so far;

the compile looks to complete without any serious errors:

I edit mod_status.c;

/*
#ifdef NEXT
#if (NX_CURRENT_COMPILER_RELEASE == 410)
#ifdef m68k
#define HZ 64
#else
#define HZ 100
#endif
#else
#include <machine/param.h>
#endif
#endif  NEXT */

#define HZ 100

here is my config statement;

configure --disable-threads  --enable-suexec --with-suexec-caller=nobody
--with-suexec-uidmin=500 --enable-module=mod_rewrite
--enable-module=mod_cgi --enable-module-shared=ssl
--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl --enable-static-rotatelogs
--enable-static-logresolve

this goves me a httpd, httpd -l

Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  prefork.c
  http_core.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_suexec.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_so.c

<should suexec be compiled into the httpd binary itself?>

It gives me static binaries under support;

-rwx------   1 root     root         5561 Jun 24 18:37 ab*
-rwx------   1 root     root         5591 Jun 24 18:37 checkgid*
-rwx------   1 root     root         5576 Jun 24 18:37 htdbm*
-rwx------   1 root     root         5591 Jun 24 18:36 htdigest*
-rwx------   1 root     root         5591 Jun 24 18:36 htpasswd*
-rwx------   1 root     root        19875 Jun 24 18:37 logresolve*
-rwx------   1 root     root       272278 Jun 24 18:37 rotatelogs*
-rwx------   1 root     root        24613 Jun 24 18:38 suexec*
-rw-------   1 root     root        20595 Jun 24 17:25 apxs

but, under modules/ssl, it looks like it was mostly untouched, no compiled
.so is left there, nothing.  The only files that appear might have been
touched in the process;

-rw-------   1 root     root         3371 Jun 24 17:25 Makefile
-rw-------   1 root     root           51 Jun 24 17:25 modules.mk

Though this may well be the reseult of the make clean just prior to the
last config/make...

So, we're almost there, any clues?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!