We are in the process of switching from round-robin DNS
(clients tend to stay on one web server) to IBM Network
Dispatcher (client connections are spread across all web
servers). It looks like this is going to defeat the current
lift we're getting with the per-server session cache. I found
a blurb on ApacheWeek about a discussion at ApacheCon 2001:

   The future of mod_ssl was discussed including the work
   currently going on to port it to Apache 2.0, add LDAP
-> CRL handling, and a distributed session cache. mod_ssl
   will not need EAPI hooks for Apache 2.0, but other EAPI
   functions may be useful. It is not certain how this effort
   will fit into the work being done in Apache 2.0 on mod_tls
   and if we will end up with two SSL solutions like we have
   with Apache 1.3.

How far along is the mod_ssl port to Apache 2?
Has anyone hacked up a distributed session cache?
Would a dbm session cache over NFS work?
Did the old Apache-SSL ssl_gcache ever work as a DSC?
How did ssl_gcache deal with security/integrity of the cache?
Is this problem even worse: Does the client throw away
  it's current session key every time it gets a different
  session key from the web server?
I see that there is a great deal of work on distributed
  shared memory (mostly for parallel computing). Has anyone
  put one of these solutions under mm?

John
--
John Bly Milton IV   (512) w:493-2764, h:323-5622, m:750-1783
FundsXpress  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Don't FLAME, inform!  O-