See comments,

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

..or your SSLCertificateFile directive was pointing to the wrong place :-)

> ...but https returns the default web page for the apache
>installation, instead of the real site, which does come up with just
>http.  I think I can figure that out, but if anyone has pointer
>thanks,  and thanks for suffering my dumb questions.

Check out your DocumentRoot directive in the SSL virtual host - there should only be
one. If there is more than one, apache will use the last one... It is this directive
which tells apache where to fetch the content.

>--
>Matt

>routines:ASN1_get_object:header
>>> too long
>>> >

>>>Unusual.. Do you see anything in the browser? Also:
>>>
>>>- What versions of apache, mod_ssl, openssl?
>>

>>Apache 1.3.22
>>OpenSSL 0.9.6
>>mod_ssl 1.4

Um... If I were you, I'd get apache 1.3.26, OpenSSL 0.9.6e and mod_ssl 2.8.10. That's
teh latest mix, also pay attention to the security advisory that was posted to the
list today.

>>>- Static or DSO?

When you compiled apache, did you statically compile in mod_ssl (i.e.
--enable-module=ssl) so that the mod_ssl binary gets munged in with the apache binary
to produce a big binary *or* did you compile mod_ssl as a shared object which would be
loaded dynamically at runtime (DSO = Dynamic Shared Object), i.e. --enable-shared=ssl?
Usually, it doesn't make much difference when they're working, but since yours was not
working, I thought I'd ask.

>>I'll be honest and say I don't quite understand that
>question.  I'm way
>>more new at this what I wished.  I could probably answer that
>question, if
>>asked in different terms.
>>
>>>- What browser?
>>
>>IE, Mozilla, you name it.

Just in case it was a funny browser - SSL is as much to do with the client as it is to
do with the server so it is essential to verify any problems with several browsers.
But you've already done that.