On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:29:58AM -0700, David Lowenstein wrote:
> Can anyone out there recommend an affordable ssl accelerator that will
> work with a sun enterprise 420? I'm interested in either a pci card or a
> standalone unit.
>
> Unfortunately I'm about to launch a website under ssl and we really don't
> know just how much that's going to hamper performance.
>
> Also, any performance tuning tips for ssl would be appreciated (for
> apache webserver with mod_perl and bea weblogic)

My first advice would be to compile openssl with assembly optimizations on,
and make sure you configure session caching in the mod_ssl side.
Have you considered having dedicated boxes doing the ssl, serving static
content, and reverse proxying to the real servers?
That will also reduce the load in Apache, since each request ties a process
and in turn that child has a expensive Perl interpreter embedded, whether it
is serving static content or not. (I am assuming you are using 1.3 here)

Cheers

Daniel

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/