there's more info on this in the reference manual, than the FAQ.

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_reference.html#ToC4

Basically try changing the 'startup' one to use a
file:/path/to/file/with/junk/in/it that points at a file with something
random enough in it - I'm not mr crypto, but, by random I take it that
something an outside party cant guess ought to be enough, and you need
to experiment with file lengths a bit to find what works enough - some
people advocate using the syslog output. Of course if you're just
hacking around and you dont care that the NSA or the Home Office might
be able to decrypt your ssl streams, then why stress out about it?

the 'connect' one however should get by using the builtin or see if you
can get egd working - this one does affect performance, so avoid using
the exec: option because spawning processes is not cheap on resources.