You mean you have one IP address and one FQDN but many physical machines?

Then you need a load-balancer. That is, the LB carries the external IP address so all
packets are routed initially to it. Then it re-routes the packets to one of the
internal servers according to various rules (e.g. randomly, round-robin, based on IP
range etc.).

There are several complications in an SSL environment:

- the LB can't look inside the packets to see any HTTP attributes (such as Host
header). It can only work with the IP and port (this is why name-based virtual hosting
doesn't work with SSL).
- SSL servers usually keep-alive the session so that the session key does not have to
be renegotiated for every transaction. Obviously, if you have more than one server,
the LB has to make sure that each client always gets the same server on subsequent
requests.