I'd set these up as virtual hosts - the essence of what you want to do here is to make http://www.domain.com/ return different information than https://www.domain.com.

Having done that (by following the links in the other reply you got) you then will need to set up what you want to happen on the http side of things - there is no automatic pop-up as you were asking for.

What many do is simply configure http to do a redirect to https, like this:

Redirect / https://www.domain.com/

or you can just put up a page with a link to https and explanatory text - which is often a good way of doing it so they have something to look at for explanation if their SSL client is not compatible with your site for example.

-PeterV.

Robert Lagana wrote:

Hello,
Using mod_ssl .. on Apache .. I would like to secure two directories..
https://www.domain.com/homedir
https://www.domain.com/homedir2
Now if user go to http://www.domain.com will users get a pop up saying that SSL is required?
Is this just a matter of having Port 80 and Port 443 enabled?
Do I set these directories up as virtual hosts?
Is there a link someone can provided that explains this?
Thanks,
Rob