Hello,

We are experiencing problems with our Win32 Apache 1.3.27 with mod_ssl
2.8.12 + openssl 0.9.6g running on Windows 2000.
It is a sort of DoS attack that makes our web site totally inaccessible.

One of those attacks was captured with Ethereal. The dump is attached.

As you can see, the attack is accomplished through both HTTP (80) and
HTTPS (443) ports.
First, the connection is opened to the HTTP port and a malformed
HTTP/1.1 GET request (with no Host: header) is sent to the HTTP port
(probably with an intention to produce a crash described in
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-27.html or just to determine the
host's Server version). The server responds with "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad
request" and closes the connection. After that the attacker starts
opening connections to the HTTPS port. One of them is used to send SSLv2
Client Hello request. From this point the web server starts rejecting
all incoming connections and the web site stops responding on both HTTP
and HTTPS ports.

The error log usually contains records like:

[..time..] [error] [client ..] client sent HTTP/1.1 request without
hostname (see RFC2616 section 14.23): /
[..time..] [error] Server ran out of threads to serve requests. Consider
raising the ThreadsPerChild setting

Is this problem related to mod_ssl anyhow?
Do you expect any fix for this problem soon?

Regards

P.S. We have the ThreadsPerChild parameter of httpd.conf set to 10.