On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:10:26PM -0700, Steve Chadsey wrote:
> How can I verify the ciphers enabled by my webserver?
>
> The reason I ask is because I have been informed by a third-party
> security auditor that my server "allows anonymous authentication",
> "allows cleartext communication", and "supports weak encryption".
> I am unable to verify any of these claims on my own.
>
> Here is my information
> Apache: 1.3.27
> mod_ssl: mod_ssl/2.8.12-1.3.27
> openssl: openssl-0.9.6g
> OS: Solaris 8
>
> Here are my relevant SSL directives from httpd.conf:
> SSLEngine on
> SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM:!ADH
> SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
>
> According to
>   /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl ciphers -v 'HIGH:MEDIUM:!ADH'
> the supported ciphers for my server are:
> EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA    SSLv3 Kx=DH       Au=RSA  Enc=3DES(168) Mac=SHA1
> EDH-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA    SSLv3 Kx=DH       Au=DSS  Enc=3DES(168) Mac=SHA1
> DES-CBC3-SHA            SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=3DES(168) Mac=SHA1
> DES-CBC3-MD5            SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=3DES(168) Mac=MD5
> DHE-DSS-RC4-SHA         SSLv3 Kx=DH       Au=DSS  Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=SHA1
> IDEA-CBC-SHA            SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=IDEA(128) Mac=SHA1
> RC4-SHA                 SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=SHA1
> RC4-MD5                 SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=MD5
> IDEA-CBC-MD5            SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=IDEA(128) Mac=MD5
> RC2-CBC-MD5             SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC2(128)  Mac=MD5
> RC4-MD5                 SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=MD5
>
> But apparently I am also supporting:
> ADH-DES-CBC-SHA
> DES-CBC-SHA
> EDH-DSS-DES-CBC-SHA
> EDH-RSA-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP1024-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP1024-DHE-DSS-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP1024-DHE-DSS-RC4-SHA
> EXP1024-RC2-CBC-MD5
> EXP1024-RC4-MD5
> EXP1024-RC4-SHA
> EXP-ADH-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP-ADH-RC4-MD5
> EXP-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP-EDH-DSS-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP-EDH-RSA-DES-CBC-SHA
> EXP-RC2-CBC-MD5
> EXP-RC4-MD5
> NULL-MD5
> NULL-SHA
>
> Is the security auditor full of it?  How can I verify their results
> from an external machine (they've scanned the network from an
> external box)?

Try to connect using
  openssl s_client -connect hostname:443 -cipher ADH-DES-CBC-SHA
to see, if it really succeeds. With respect to your seetings it
better should not.
Unfortunately the server-info handler does not list the enabled ciphers
for crosschecking. The SSLv3/TLSv1 specification says that the client
has to list its supported ciphers, so from the protocol side of view
the only option indeed is to test connections with the ciphers in
question.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/