I was looking for some of the automated test mechanisms like Netcraft.
 I found a recently updated survey at
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/.
 The survey provides Web and SSL site stats independently but the SSL server
 break down does not include modssl. Instead there is an apache module
 section. It does make sense but takes more work to understand the results.
 Apache has 50.88 percent of the ssl market in December 2002.  Apparently
 26.49 percent of the apache servers that answered include modssl in
 the response (1414225 servers). However this is not listed under
 the secure servers suvey.Perhaps some of these have modssl installed
 but SSL  not enabled. This is exactly the kind of survey I was looking
 for.  Thanks for all the responses.