On 20 Mar 2003 at 11:50, Robert Lagana wrote:

> Linux 7.2 RedHat
> Pentium

Hi -

It should not be too hard (but I am not
using RedHat):

1) read http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
   Note the RedHat sections.

2) download the latest (0.9.7a) to some dir
   (I use something like /usr/local/src/openssl).

3) untar it and check its signature (see faq).

4) read the following in the expanded dir:
   FAQ and INSTALL and/or INSTALL.whatever

5) make you choices and do a
    ./config --whatever=whatever \
    make
    make test

6) if OK, you have proved you can get
   openssl compiled and tested from source.

7) now is the tricky part; examine your current
   installed openssl, determine it's location,
   and, if you are sure you know what's what,
   remove it with rpm (man rpm if ?s). I assume
   you can always revert to the RedHat version
   by re-installing the 'official' RedHat
   openssl rpm. (I hope you are doing this on
   a test machine.)

8) make location changes (prefix=....) (if
   necessary) and repeat from step 4.

9) make install and ldconfig.

10)test and, etc.

Aloha => Beau;

PS: please remember that every distro has it's
own quirks; you eventually will have to fight
through them on your own - and, yes, it gets
easier and easier as you install more and more
packages. Good luck!