OK, I think I figured it out.  It really is what the error says (Imagine
that).  I made myself a CA, then made another certificate.  The other
certificate was exactly the same as the CA one.

Now it works using ca.key and ca.crt.  However now I have two questions.

1)  Why can't you have two exact same certs?
2)  If the can't be the same, what has to be different?
.. (let me sneak in a third question)
3)  Is it safe to use the CA certs on a server?  Or should I use a
machine that is not used via ssl normally and then copy the other certs
over?
.. (one more :))
4)  Is there more documentation for this these kind of questions?  Did I
miss it in the man page?

Thanks everyone!
Ron