Hello,

> I am currently running about 15 virtual hosts using name based on port 80,
> and 1 virtual host using SSL.

I assume that you have only one virtual host for SSL in your conf.

> My SSL host is currently working with the following:
>
>     <VirtualHost _default_:443>
>
> However I want to change this to the IP based hosting for this host,
> I tried changing this to the following:
>
>     <VirtualHost 203.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>
>
> By doing this my SSL virtual host stops working altogether.
>
> I try the following to debug it on a remote machine:
>
>     # openssl s_client -connect 203.xxx.xxx.xxx:443
>     CONNECTED(00000003)
>     27604:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
> protocol:s23_clnt.c:475:

I see simlilar problems several times. From my little experience, this
happends when you access the virtual host where the sslengine is not
on.

This is caused by probably:
 1) You do not specify the SSL engine on in the directive.
    (Probably not because you just changed from _default_:443)
 2) Your virtual host is not working (happends when you try to have multiple
    ssl hosts). But even happends when you set a differnt IP from the
    one in your inet addr (even you have a one virtual host).
 3) You have several ethernet HWs working and for a example use the eth0 for
    openssl command and eth1 for ssl.conf.

> Can anyone suggest might be wrong here?

I can only tell that xxx.xxx.xxx parts of your two IP addresses are
probably not set correctly. If you could tell exact info on the conf
and ifconfig, I may be able to suggest more.

-Kiyoshi
Kiyoshi Watanabe