Hello Francisco,

Francisco Corella wrote:
Hi Goetz,

OpenSSL comes with build in support for different
crypto hardware (called ENGINE, in crypto/engine/).
But support for additional crypto engines may be added on run time.

Please search the OpenSSL web pages.

I think I understand, at least in principle, how to use hardware crypto with mod_ssl. But there are two ways of doing it, depending of where you keep the server key:

(a) You may keep the server key in a file specified by the directive
SSLCertificateKeyFile, and send the key to the hardware for each operation
that requires use of the key.  Or,

(b) You may keep the server key in the hardware, and tell the hardware what
key to use for each operation in some ad-hoc fashion.

My understanding is that most hardware crypto uses option (a).  I know that
nCipher lets you use option (a) or option (b), but using option (b) requires
buying the tamperproof card called "nForce", which is very expensive,
instead of the vanilla "nFast" card.

What I was asking is whether there is other crypto hardware out there that
lets you use option (b).  I'm hoping to find something less expensive than
nForce.

Eracom has a crypto card. It is accessed with a PKCS#11 interface.

There are several PKCS#11 ENGINE implementations for OpenSSL
available.
(One from Bull, one from eracom, may be others)

Have a look at one of these.

Bye

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell, TC TrustCenter AG, http://www.trustcenter.de
Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany