> 1. The modssl web site refers to the SSL cryptography algorithm
>    as being conventional, or symmetric. But mod-ssl uses public
>    and private keys, which are known as parts of asymmetric
>    cryptography. Any explanation ?

Asymmetric cryptography is used to agree and exchange keys for symmetric
cryptography (much faster)

> 2. I copied a mod-ssl-enhanced apache-2.0.48 installation to
>    another machine, replaced the certificate file ( server.crt )
>    with another certificate ( but same file name ), and made
>    some small changes in httpd.conf and ssl.conf. Of course,
>    this did not work. Is there any way that I can generate a
>    new private key ( server.key file ) according to the
>    public key in the new certificate file ? Or should I remove
>    everything and install again, the proper way ?

"it did not work" does not tell us much :) Which errors did you get?
What did you change? What is the current conf?

Since you are just starting with mod_ssl, I suggest reinstalling from
scratch rather than trying to figure out what may be going wrong.
You can find detailed information on how SSL works (symm/asymm.,
certificates, etc.) and how to get Apache 2 + mod_ssl working on a chapter I
have online at

http://www.apacheworld.org/ty24/site.chapter17.html

Cheers

Daniel