Question:

Software:
Apache 1.3.29
ModSSL 2.8.16
OpenSSL 0.9.7c
OS Sun Solaris 8
Clients
IE 5.5 and IE 6.0

Client Certificates stored on hardware token with 10 minute timeout for
private key. If a user does not use the private key for 10 minutes, then
he/she has to re-enter PIN to access private key stored on smart card.

If I set Apache to not require client authentication then I am
able to reuse a SSL session ID when connecting via HTTPS. I ran the
following test with openssl:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:443 -state -reconnect

The results basically inform you that session caching is working properly
and openssl connects to Apache using the same session ID 5 times.

If I modify the httpd.conf file to require client authentication, I get a
failure with the above openssl command and when connecting using a
certificate. I get REQUEST=SET STATUS=BAD when OpenSSL is trying to
write the session id to the DBM cache file on the local system. OpenSSL
then attempts to REQUEST=GET and that fails when it tries to use the
session ID it was unable to write earlier.

If I remove the require client auth in the httpd.conf file, the logging is
correct and the openssl command does not fail.

The problem is that I have users that may take longer than 10 minutes
(Access to private key on smart card timeout after 10 minutes) to complete
a form on a web page. If a user accesses the server via the browser, he/she
selects a certificate to present, authenticates to smart card with pin and
is then allowed access to the web page. If he/she sits there with the
browser open for 12 minutes or so and click on a link -- failure. Page not
found failure. I look at the debug logs of SSL and see that
OpenSSL was trying to reuse the first session key and it failed. As a
result, the complete handshake starts over again, but the user is not
prompted to enter PIN. Apache does not get a user cert and failure takes
place.

The ironic thing is that if I wait 12 minutes, enter PIN for smart card
prior to clicking on a link, then all works fine. OpenSSL does not reuse
the session key, but the repeat of the handshake works.

How am I able to configure Apache to reuse the session key when client auth
is enabled? Am I missing something?

Thanks