--On Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:50:44 AM -0700 Christopher McCrory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 09:46, Bill MacAllister wrote:
Hello,

I am having problems with a brand new Verisign 128 bit certificate that
has  just be purchased.  I have installed the certificate and the
intermediate  CA cert on an Apache 1.3.31/mod_ssl 2.8.17/openssl 0.9.7d
instance.

Did you get a new intermediate cert (intermediate.crt) from Verisign also? This also goes in the apache config. directions somewhere on verisigns site.

Yes. The only certificate that has ever been on my servers is the new CA cert.

Actually there are multiple references on the Versign site:

http://www.verisign.com/support/install/apache/v00Mod.html#global
http://www.verisign.com/support/site/caReplacement.html

Of course, while both describe the same issue they suggest slightly different Apache directives. Respectively the two suggestions are:

 SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/crt/public.crt
 SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/crt/private.key
 SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/ssl/crt/intermediate.crt

and

 SSLCACertificateFile /etc/ssl/crt/intermediate.crt

I have tried both and neither method works for IE.

Bill

What I am seeing is the Netscape and Mozilla connect to the site just
fine.  When I connect to the site with IE 6 the security window pops up
telling be  that the certificate has either expired or is not valid yet.
When I look  at the certificate the intermediate CA cert that IE is
using is the expired  cert that was installed with IE.  I tried removing
the old intermediate CA  cert from IE altogether and it still will not
load the intermediate CA cert  from my server.

I am not really sure what to try at this point.   Oh, yes, Verisign
support  has been pretty much useless.

Help suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Christopher McCrory

 http://www.pricegrabber.com