I had exactly the same problem when I compile my new Apache server (2.2.0) with mod_ssl.  To be short, I think you are using the packaged OpenSSL.  I fixed the problem by re-compiling the OpenSSL on the system with shared option, but first remove the pre-installed OpenSSL package.

-          Ming Yu

-          Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Smith
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 9:20 AM
To: modssl-users@modssl.org
Subject: Errors with firefox

Hello there

Not sure if the underlying problem here is with mod_ssl or openssl or something else - so apologies if this email is going to the wrong place.

I have apache compiled on solaris with sun cc with mod_ssl- 2.8.25-1.3.34 and openssl-0.9.8a (I've also tried 0.9.7i).

When accessing the site using Internet Explorer I have no problems.  With Firefox the browser reports an 'incorrect Message Authentication Code' and the server logs report:

[Mon Jan 23 13:13:54 2006] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server xxx:443, client xxx) (OpenSSL library error follows)
[Mon Jan 23 13:13:54 2006] [error] OpenSSL: error:1408F455:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or bad record mac

I do have previous builds that 'work' ... but have been unable to determine precisely what change initiated this problem.  One possible suspect is the Sun compiler, which was now from studio 11 and was previously from an earlier version which I don't have access to any more.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Thanks

Michael Smith