Well, I think as Apache2 is the root, you path is wrong for the certificate file, as the error shows, you config should be as follows:

<VirtualHost server-ip-address:443>
  SSLEngine On
  SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/servername.cert
  SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/servername.key
</VirtualHost>

Regards,

Kevin

Asad Habib wrote:
Hello. I am running Windows XP and I am trying to make Apache2 run with mod_ssl. I have a certificate file and certificate key file in place but when I run Apache I get the following error:

Syntax error on line 973 of C:/Program Files/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf
SSLCertificateFile: file 'C:/conf/ssl/servername.cert' does not exist or is empty

The code for my virtual host directive is as follows:

<VirtualHost server-ip-address:443>
   SSLEngine On
   SSLCertificateFile /conf/ssl/servername.cert
   SSLCertificateKeyFile /conf/ssl/servername.key
</VirtualHost>

I lot of folks have had similar problems as I found out through Google, but I have not come across any viable solutions. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Asad