Even more revealing was the passphrase prompt, not required for plain httpd...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Omar W. Hannet wrote:

Are you quite certain that the LoadModule for mod_ssl has been
commented out?  The reason I ask: the output from 'apachectl start'
which you provided below shows 'mod_ssl/2.2.4'.

In the log file /opt/apache-2.2.4/logs/error_log, on lines that contain
'Apache/2.2.4' and 'configured -- resuming normal operations', do
you see 'mod_ssl/2.2.4'?  If so, it is still being loaded from somewhere
in your configuration.

Saikat Saha wrote:
Sorry for late response on this one. This is what we have in httpd.conf
which is generated at compile time. This problem does not go away even
if I comment out last four lines and restart apache. Could you please
advise what else could be leading apache to think it is https rather
than http?

# Secure (SSL/TLS) connections
#Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
#
# Note: The following must must be present to support
#       starting without SSL on platforms with no /dev/random equivalent
#       but a statically compiled-in mod_ssl.
#
<IfModule ssl_module>
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
</IfModule>

With above commented out, when I try to start apache, I get following
passphrase prompt and apache does not start even after saying passphrase
successful, no logs in logs directory although log level is "debug"

]# ./apachectl start
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using 10.3.110.109 for ServerName
Apache/2.2.4 mod_ssl/2.2.4 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide the pass phrases.

Server 10.3.110.109:443 (RSA)