I've updated my ssl public certificate and intermediate certificate
according to the instructions at
http://www.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/page_dev019509.html
I also made sure the file permissions match. Now apache won't start, and
doesn't indicate any error:

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# apachectl startssl
 Apache/2.0.55 mod_ssl/2.0.55 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
 Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
 In order to read them you have to provide us with the pass phrases.

 Server webamc.annamaria.edu:443 (RSA)
 Enter pass phrase:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# netstat -anp | grep 443
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

Also, nothing shows up in /var/log/httpd/error_log,
/var/log/httpd/access_log (of course), or /var/log/messages.

If I put the old certificate back, it works:

 Enter pass phrase:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# netstat -anp | grep 443
 tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:443                 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      1197/httpd
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

How can I troubleshoot this? I don't have any experience with modssl, I've
inherited responsibility for this system. Our certificate expires in two
days. :(

Thanks,
  Rick Onanian
  Network Administrator